Associate Category Manager - Grocery300 N. Greene Street Greensboro, North Carolina, United States Date posted 1/12/2022
Our mission is to make everyday eating extraordinary for our guests. We create a warm, welcoming, memorable experience with exceptional, personal service. We’re looking for a new team member who strives for excellence and brings positive energy, commitment and a “can-do” attitude to work every day. We value teamwork and celebrate our successes as a team and will value your contribution!
Added Benefits for choosing The Fresh Market Team:
The Associate Category Manager is responsible for category strategy, assortment planning, promotional planning, program development, and supplier partnerships for specific categories or areas of product. This role is accountable for the financial performance of assigned categories through the development of category strategies and assortment planning. The Associate Category Manager is also responsible for promotional planning and competitive price reaction in assigned categories to stay relevant in the market and grow brand recognition. In addition, the Associate Category Manager supports and positively influences The Fresh Market Own Brand initiatives as they relate to product mix, vendor relationships and innovation needs. This position is directed by the Category Manager and is considered entry level to category management and requires someone eager to learn and resilient in a fast-paced environment. This position is based out of the Store Support Center (SSC), located in Greensboro, NC (099).
- Develop and execute category management strategies and programs, based on customer preferences, to deliver financial goals and business objectives for assigned categories
- React quickly and decisively to business opportunities to achieve and consistently maintain positive sales growth and increased margin
- Partners with FP&A on development of financial plans by providing regular and timely input
- Supports Category Manager to effectively manage product availability and identify risks in assortment
- Build and maintain strong partnerships with vendors
- Select items and negotiate best costs and delivery of product with Category Manager oversight
- Clearly communicate to vendor partners the guidelines required by The Fresh Market for quality and standards
- Identify business opportunities and risks through analyzing sales performance and gathering market information; recommend strategies to ensure plans are achieved
- Partner with FP&A on monthly sales planning process to actively manage business and maximize opportunities
- Supports Category Manager on monthly marketing strategies and in store merchandising as needed
- Consistently perform category review and make suggestions on additions/deletions for assigned categories
- Comp shop competitors and use information to positively impact business
- Travel with Category Manager to all necessary trade shows and identify product opportunities (where applicable)
- 3-5 years of experience of category management and procurement in grocery or consumer product goods
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Possesses strong merchandising, product and marketing skills
- Demonstrate strong analytical, negotiating and problem-solving skills
- Ability develop/maintain strong working relationship with peers and cross-functional teams
- Demonstrates leadership and decision-making skills
- Demonstrates strong listening, written and oral communication skills
- Willing and able to travel for trade shows and store trips
- Flexible and adaptive to changing priorities
- Able to organize and prioritize workload to meet deadline
- Takes calculated risks to achieve results
- Develops creative solutions to business issues
- Identifies emerging trends and shops competition and market regularly
- Demonstrated skills with MS Office applications
- Familiarity with managing distribution vendors
- Experience utilizing Nielsen and/or IRI
- Experience with MicroStrategy
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS: Consistent with applicable laws, TFM will make reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants and team members, unless doing so would result in an undue hardship to TFM. This guiding principle applies to all aspects of employment, including hiring and job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, and access to benefits and training.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy and related medical conditions, national origin, genetic information, uniformed service, veteran status, disability, or any other basis prohibited by federal or state law.
The statements in this job description are provided to describe the general nature and level of work expected in this role. While these statements include the essential functions of the job, they are not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. As we work as a team, there may be times team members are needed to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities based on business needs.