Director, Grocery Merchandising300 N. Green Street Greensboro, North Carolina, United States Date posted 10/25/2021
Our mission is to make everyday eating extraordinary for our guests. We create a warm, welcoming, memorable experience with exceptional, personal service. We’re looking for a new team member who strives for excellence and brings positive energy, commitment and a “can-do” attitude to work every day.We value teamwork and celebrate our successes as a team and will value your contribution!
Added Benefits for choosing The Fresh Market Team:
- Team member discount up to 40%
- Health, Dental & Vision insurance available for individual, spouse, partner, and family.
- And much more!
- 401K contribution and match for part-time and full-time team members.
- Personal time off and additional time off purchase plans available
The Fresh Market currently has an opening for a Grocery Merchandising Director in our Store Support Center (099). The Category Director is responsible for providing overall leadership and direction for The Fresh Market Grocery business to achieve profitable sales and program development. The Director should drive implementation of best practices and achieve consistency for key processes related to product placement, pricing, promotion, procurement and vendor partnerships. The Director is responsible to manage the procurement and development of goods and commercial programs to attain service and quality standards. This position reports to the VP, Center Store Merchandising.
- Plan and direct the company's merchandising programs and financial budgets for the department to develop programs which will result in achievement of targeted sales and margin.
- Direct and maintain accountability for all buying and pricing of products; regularly prepare and deliver reports on department performance, including pricing, promotion, sales, margin, new programs and products, and quality standard
- Develop Own Brand strategies and the role this segment plays within each department; collaborate closely with the Own Brand team on product development to ensure quality and desired strategic objectives are achieved.
- Collaborate with Merchandise Operations to support execution of Pricing and Promotional Strategies, Space Planning execution and Distribution/Transportation expectations.
- Collaborate with Marketing and eCommerce to ensure product quality and value is messaged appropriately and consistently
- Partner and collaborate with Store Operations on merchandising strategies, execution expectations as well as evaluation to improve both upstream planning process and downstream execution standards
- Monitor the competitive climate and develop strategies to maximize performance
- Stay abreast of emerging industry trends and foster innovation
- Determine and direct promotion, and display plans.
- Perform frequent and regular store visits to monitor and adjust store strategies
- Support and assist in the development of the company communication standards to maximize business efficiencies and employee effectiveness
- Work collaboratively within The Fresh Market to optimize seasonal rotation, new and discontinued products, and customer engagement/loyalty initiatives
- Be a TFM brand ambassador within the Food Retail industry; strong partnership and collaboration with industry vendors and council organizations
- Set a positive example for the desired culture and values of the organization.
- Hire, coach, train and develop merchandising staff to meet business growth needs
- Set clear performance expectations for direct reports and follow-up with timely performance evaluations; inspire, encourage, and lead staff to innovate in sourcing and finding ways to market both new and existing products to customers
At a minimum, what you’ll need:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- 6+ years of Category Management or related experience
- Possesses strong merchandising, product and marketing skills
- Strong ability to identify global issues and communicate within the organization
- Demonstrate strong analytical, negotiating and problem-solving skills
- Ability develop/maintain strong working relationship with peers and cross-functional teams
- Demonstrates leadership and decision-making skills
- Demonstrates strong listening, written and oral communication skills
- Willing and able to travel for trade shows and store trips
- Flexible and adaptive to changing priorities
- Able to organize and prioritize workload to meet deadline
- Takes calculated risks to achieve results
- Develops creative solutions to business issues
- Identifies emerging trends and shops competition and market regularly
- Demonstrated skills with MS Office applications
It's a bonus if you bring:
- Experience managing distribution vendors
- Demonstrated experience utilizing Nielsen and/or IRI
- Experience with MicroStrategy
- Project Management skills
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS: Consistent with applicable laws, TFM will make reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants and team members, unless doing so would result in an undue hardship to TFM. This guiding principle applies to all aspects of employment, including hiring and job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, and access to benefits and training.
At The Fresh Market, we have a COVID-19 vaccination policy that requires all Store Support Center Team Members to be fully vaccinated absent an approved religious or medical accommodation by the company.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy and related medical conditions, national origin, genetic information, uniformed service, veteran status, disability, or any other basis prohibited by federal or state law.
The statements in this job description are provided to describe the general nature and level of work expected in this role. While these statements include the essential functions of the job, they are not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. As we work as a team, there may be times team members are needed to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities based on business needs.